Catch up with Fairtrade Fortnight!
Fairtrade Fortnight ran from 22 February – 7th March 2021
It was all about the challenges of climate change facing farmers in the developing countries of the South; how Fairtrade enables them to address those challenges and how we can help them tackle climate change by choosing Fairtrade products and adopting more sustainable lifestyles ourselves.
Find out more about the National Festival of events, ‘Choose the World You Want’, which you can still go to! here.
Encourage schools to teach and learn about the climate crisis and how it affects farmers in different parts of the world. Young people can explore how better incomes can help farmers to cope with these challenges. Farmers in the global south have contributed the least to the climate crisis but are already feeling the impacts the hardest.
‘Climate, Fairtrade and You’ Education Packs have been produced for teachers and educators to discuss how the climate crisis affects farmers and workers overseas. Through assemblies (designed with social distancing in mind!), lesson plans and activities, young people have the opportunity to discover how their choices can impact people around the world, but also the planet that we live on.
Visit the Fairtrade Schools site to download your Education Pack for Early Years, Primary schools or Secondary schools.
Buy Fairtrade Products!
With thousands of products now available from single origin coffees to delicious chocolate and fashionable cotton T shirts, change your everyday products to Fairtrade today.
Ask for Fairtrade
in cafes and restaurants. And if your local food store does not have the Fairtrade product you are looking for, speak to the manager and ask them to stock it.
Persuade your workplace, place of worship, school or club to switch to Fairtrade:
Businesses : If you run a business, shop or café, offer Fairtrade products where you can.
Introduce your friends to Fairtrade products.
Say thank you with a bunch of Fairtrade flowers, bring a bottle of Fairtrade wine to a dinner party or make them a cup of refreshing Fairtrade tea.
Find out more about Fairtrade and spread the word.
Visit www.fairtrade.org.uk for news, ideas, events and information.
for eg. for:
- Fairtrade and Climate Justice – Fairtrade is supporting the Climate Coalitions Declaration – you can sign it here.
- Women farmers’ rights to a living income – more here
to support the work of the Fairtrade Foundation to support projects to bring Fairtrade to more farmers and workers, help them improve their farms, build demand for their produce and help strengthen their voices to negotiate a fairer deal – so they can truly trade their way out of poverty.
Join your local Fairtrade group.
Gosport Fairtrade Action welcomes new members.
We meet regularly ( though not frequently and not physically during the current pandemic but keep in touch by email) and these are some of the things we do:
- We keep an eye on who’s selling Fairtrade products and make sure our lists are up to date on our website and on printed guides we produce.
- We talk about Fairtrade to lots of groups each year.
- We set up stalls and displays at various events
- We organise events, especially during Fairtrade Fortnight which is late Feb- March each year. See our “Recent events” pages for what we have done in recent years.
- We support local schools and churches which are working towards Fairtrade status
- We join in campaigns organised nationally by the Fairtrade Foundation
- We maintain this website and send round mailings.
If you could help with any of these activities – just get in touch.
page updated 29-03-2021